Writing a Sketch Show
Interested in attending? Have a suggestion about running this event near you?
Register your interest now
Students in this class will work together to write an original sketch show. Students will be held to weekly deadlines in order to generate material to be featured in the show. Students will also get the experience of generating material collaboratively with others.
Students will be expected to devote time to writing and rewriting material outside of class. Students will also get the experience of rehearsing, blocking, and producing sketches for the stage.
The culmination of Sketch 301 will be the performance of a sketch show comprised of student-generated material.
PLEASE NOTE: Students will be writing for a predetermined cast, not for themselves. The focus of the class is on writing, rewriting and producing sketches for the stage.
Sketch 301 also includes a mandatory Tech Rehearsal before the final performance. Students must be available to attend the Tech Rehearsal
in order to participate in the show and pass the course. Please check to make sure that you are available for the tech rehearsal before signing up for the course.
Students must bring a sketch to the FIRST session of class. This sketch should be written for the stage and no longer than four pages. This first sketch should be written utilizing the concept of the "Game of the Scene," taught in Sketch 101 and Sketch 201. Students should be prepared to devote time outside of class to completing new writing assignments for every session.
Course meets for 8 sessions, each 3 hours long. There is a class performance after the final session and a mandatory tech rehearsal.
- Classes are NON-REFUNDABLE
- STUDENTS MUST SUBMIT PROOF OF COVID-19 VACCINE AND BOOSTER FOR IN-PERSON CLASSES.
- WE DO NOT ALLOW MORE THAN TWO ABSENCES. Students missing more than two classes will be REMOVED from the course and will NOT be promoted to the next course level.
- You must be 18 years of age or older to sign up for this course.
- UCB Training Center reserves the right to accept or deny any individual's application.
- UCB Training Center reserves the right to postpone or cancel class if it does not reach a minimum number of students.
- Fees incurred by student for travel/lodging etc. will not be reimbursed by UCB Training Center or its affiliates.
- UCB Training Center reserves the right to replace any teacher at any time with another equally qualified teacher without notice.
- Participation in or completion of classes does not guarantee placement on a UCB Theatre House Team.
Must have completed Sketch 201 at UCB online or in-person within the last two years.