The Upright Citizens Brigade (UCB) is a theater and school designed to train students in the foundations of comedy, (including improv, sketch, stand-up, characters, etc.,) for both comedy dabblers and devotees alike. Originally founded on the techniques of improvisation, UCB continues to evolve its offerings and programming to better address the varied needs of artists today.
To that end, UCB is enacting a new Diversity Scholarship Program for both new and existing students that will offer financial aid, networking events, targeted educational programs and on-going mentorship to historically underrepresented individuals in our community so all students may have an equal opportunity to learn and grow through the comedic arts. Applications will be evaluated based on an applicant’s self-identification as belonging to a historically underrepresented group, as well as their involvement and/or intent for involvement in the UCB community, their teacher recommendations, and more. Everyone who submits an application will also be considered for future scholarship opportunities at UCB.
If you apply to the UCB Diversity Scholarship program and self-identify as a member of a historically underrepresented group, you will likely be designated as a Diversity Program Member.
- A $250 credit to be used toward any class at UCB
- Access to our Flash Sale Distribution List (for last-minute classes 50%-100% off)
- Invitations to Diversity Program Community Nights at UCB
- Access to Diversity Program drop-ins and jams
- Access to monthly social, educational, and professional development community-building events
Diversity program Members can become Diversity Scholarship recipients based on their applications, involvement or intent for involvement in the UCB community, their teacher recommendations and more.
- All the benefits received by Diversity Program Members
- Opportunities for free classes at UCB
- Invitations to specialized career labs / panels with UCB alumni
- On-going eligibility for additional scholarship programs and opportunities
Rolling applications for the Diversity Scholarship Program are now open!
Please sign up for our Student Newsletter for on-going news, program updates, additional scholarship opportunities, and info on how to use your scholarship benefits.
WHO SHOULD APPLY?
You, probably! All new and existing students who consider themselves part of a community under-represented in the comedic arts. We define under-represented communities as follows:
- Historically marginalized groups
- Black, Indigenous, and people of color (BIPOC)
- Members of under-represented sexual identities and gender orientations not limited to lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, non-binary, queer or questioning, and two-spirit (LGBTQIA2S+) community
- People who have disabilities
- People in a less-represented age group within the UCB student population (50+)
- Women and femme-identifying individuals
Please note that all applicants must be 18 years or older.
Rolling admissions are now open! Applicants should hear back about their application status within two weeks. We will be assessing Diversity Program Members for Scholarship on a rolling basis.
For additional inquiries and information about other scholarship programs, please also refer to our Student FAQ. You can also sign up for our Student Newsletter for on-going updates and contact [email protected] with any questions or thoughts about the program.
When can I expect to hear back about my application status?
Applicants to the UCB Diversity Scholarship Program can expect to hear back within 2 weeks of applying.
How do I become a UCB Diversity Scholarship Recipient?
All UCB Diversity Program Members are being evaluated for Diversity Scholarship Recipient status. You don’t have to take any additional action.
How will teacher recommendations work in choosing UCB Diversity Scholarship Recipients?
Teacher recommendations will come from teacher comments in the existing student grading system as well as teachers directly notifying us of exemplary students.
I am a Diversity Program member and I haven’t yet received my $250 voucher. When will I receive it?
If you have not received your voucher two weeks after your acceptance into the program, please contact [email protected]
Can I use a voucher on a class I’ve already purchased?
Unfortunately, vouchers can’t be used retroactively.
Can I use a voucher on a discounted class?
Yes, you can use a voucher toward a discounted class. You can even combine vouchers. The world is your oyster!