Please read this in its entirety. All pertinent information should be answered below, so read thoroughly before asking that burning question!
CALENDAR AT A GLANCE
6/28: Submissions Open
8/16: Exemption Form Closes
8/23: Submissions Close
9/21-9/24: Round 1 Auditions
10/6 & 10/7: 2nd Callbacks (if deemed necessary)
UCB HAROLD TEAM INFO AND EXPECTATIONS
- Harold Teams perform the improv form known as the Harold. Team members must show an understanding of the Harold and a dedication to using the Harold structure as a tool in creating improvised comedy.
- Harold Teams are expected to rehearse as needed in order to improve and maintain the quality of performances.
- Harold Teams must be a priority for team members. This is demonstrated by attending rehearsals and performances. Team members with a pattern of poor attendance or lateness will be removed.
- Harold Teams will be assigned a coach by the UCBTNY Artistic Directors, and UCB will pay these coaches.
- Every Harold Team member is expected to boldly bring their unique voice and sense of humor to shows. As a team member, you are expected to perform at a high level and demonstrate commitment to improving, but you are NOT expected to be perfect. Team members must show they are open to notes from their coach and the Artistic Directors and be willing to work at implementing those notes.
- Harold Teams are expected to rehearse approximately once a week with their coaches.
- Depending on the size of the talent pool, we may also create Lloyd Teams, which in simplest terms are the junior varsity counterpart to Harold Teams. These teams will also rehearse and perform Harolds.
If you agree with these expectations, read on!
August 23rd at 11:59pm
FIRST ROUND: Thursday, September 21st – Sunday, September 24th
CALLBACKS: Friday, September 29th – Sunday, October 1st
2ND CALLBACKS (if deemed necessary): Friday, October 6th and Saturday, October 7th
***You must have availability during the first two rounds of auditions to be considered. NO EXCEPTIONS.***
Auditions will be held at UCBTNY (242 E. 14th St. between 2nd & 3rd Ave.).
Have completed Improv 401 at UCB
Are currently enrolled in an Improv 401 with a start date on or prior to July 13th, 2023
Have taken at least four multi-week improv classes at a comparable comedy theatre, at least one of which was Harold-focused
All former members of Harold, Lloyd, Maude, and/or Characters Welcome at UCBTNY (or UCBTLA) are eligible to submit.
*If we also create Lloyd Teams, they will be cast from the same audition, and eligibility is the same for both.
All auditioners will be auditioning for Harold Teams, but you can opt out of Lloyd consideration and it will not affect your eligibility for a Harold Team.
PLEASE ARRIVE THIRTY MINUTES PRIOR TO YOUR SCHEDULED AUDITION TIME.
- On the day of the audition, improvisers will be seen every 20 minutes in groups of 8.
- A space will be provided for your group to warm up.
- If you are late or miss your scheduled audition slot, we can’t guarantee you’ll be rescheduled.
FIRST ROUND auditions will last about 20 minutes and follow this format:
- A suggestion.
- Three short, true personal monologues off a suggestion. Monologists are encouraged to tell stories from their adult life, rather than childhood anecdotes. Each monologist will be asked to stop at 60 seconds.
- Four two-person FIRST BEATS.
- Four SECOND BEATS. Second beats should be initiated by the improvisors who were in the first beat — both improvisers from the first beat should step out for the second beat and either improviser can speak first.
- No group games, but second beats can utilize “on-game” group support.
- We will edit all scenes.
CALLBACKS will consist of a full Harold with a Pattern Game opening.
**The audition committee will consist of the UCBTNY Artistic Directors and a selection of paid auditors with extensive knowledge and experience with the UCB Harold.
SIGN UP FOR AN AUDITION
Before clicking the Google Form link below, have answers to these questions ready to go:
-Your name, email and phone number.
-Answers to eligibility questions
-Whether or not you’d like to be considered for a Lloyd Team
-A link to a headshot or recent photo of yourself
-A link to a professional resume
-Your availability. PLEASE BE GENEROUS WITH YOUR AVAILABILITY.
-Why, in less than 50 words, you want to be on a UCB Harold Team, and how Harold Night could benefit from your unique voice.
Once you have all of that ready, click the link below and only fill out this form one time.
You will be contacted by Wednesday, September 6th with an audition time only if you meet the audition requirements.
Sign-up Deadline: Wednesday, August 23rd @ 11:59pm.
NOTE: People who were members of a Harold or Lloyd Team at the time of UCBTNY’s closure in March of 2020 are eligible to go straight to callbacks. Please still fill out the form and we will reach out when we’re scheduling callback appointments.
Exemptions will be granted to the above eligibility on a limited basis. If you believe you qualify for an exception, please fill out the form below by August 16th. Exceptions will be granted based on space available. If you are granted an exception, you will be notified by Monday, August 21st, 2023, and, at that point, you can fill out the relevant submission form(s). Please do not fill out the regular submission form(s) unless/until you’ve been granted an exception.
Exemption Deadline: Wednesday, August 16th @ 11:59pm.
Before writing us, please double check to make sure your question wasn’t answered above. If it wasn’t, send your question to us at [email protected].
Thank you, and we can’t wait to see you crush it!