Please read this in its entirety. All pertinent information should be answered below, so read thoroughly before asking that burning question!
UCB HAROLD & MESS HALL TEAM INFO AND EXPECTATIONS
- Harold and Mess Hall Teams perform the improv form known as the Harold. Team members must show an understanding of the Harold and a dedication to using the Harold structure as a tool in creating improvised comedy.
- Harold and Mess Hall Teams are expected to rehearse as needed in order to improve and maintain the quality of performances.
- Harold and Mess Hall Teams must be a priority for team members. This is demonstrated by attending rehearsals and performances. Team members with a pattern of poor attendance or lateness will be removed.
- Harold and Mess Hall Teams will be assigned a coach by the UCBTLA Artistic Directors, and UCB will pay these coaches. This added production cost means the recoupment will be higher for Harold and Mess Hall shows, after which performers will be paid a 50/50 split.
- Every Harold and Mess Hall Team member is expected to boldly bring their unique voice and sense of humor to shows. As a team member, you are expected to perform at a high level and demonstrate commitment to improving, but you are NOT expected to be perfect. Team members must show they are open to notes from their coach and the Artistic Directors and be willing to work at implementing those notes.
If you agree with these expectations, read on!
January 27th at 11:59pm
FIRST ROUND: Friday 2/17 – Tuesday 2/21
CALLBACKS: Friday 2/24 – Monday 2/27
***You must have availability during both rounds of auditions to be considered. NO EXCEPTIONS.***
We anticipate that teams will be announced in the first week of March.
We anticipate most auditions will be held on the Franklin stage, but some may be at the Tamarind classroom above the theatre on Franklin. We will notify you when we schedule your time slot of your exact audition location.
In order to be eligible, you must have completed IMPROV 401 any time in the past OR be enrolled in an IMPROV 401 with a start date on or prior to February 17th.
Harold and Mess Hall Teams will be cast from the same audition, and eligibility is the same for both.
All auditioners will be auditioning for Harold Teams, but you can opt out of Mess Hall consideration and it will not affect your eligibility for a Harold Team.
Exemptions will be granted to the above eligibility on a limited basis. If you believe you qualify for an exception, please fill out the form below by January 23rd. Please do not assume you will receive an exemption. Exceptions will be granted based on space available. If you are granted an exception, you will receive an email with your audition time.
Exemption Deadline: Monday January 23rd @ 11:59pm.
PLEASE ARRIVE THIRTY MINUTES PRIOR TO YOUR SCHEDULED AUDITION TIME.
- You must bring a headshot and resume STAPLED, NOT CLIPPED, together. If you do not have a headshot, bring a recent photo that clearly shows your face.
- On the day of the audition, improvisers will be seen every 20 minutes in groups of 8.
FIRST ROUND auditions will last about 20 minutes and follow this format:
- A suggestion.
- A short, true personal monologue off a suggestion. Monologists are encouraged to tell stories from their adult life, rather than childhood anecdotes. Monologists will be asked to stop at 60 seconds.
- Four two-person FIRST BEATS.
- Four SECOND BEATS. Second beats should be initiated by the improvisors who were in the first beat — both improvisers from the first beat should step out for the second beat and either improviser can speak first.
- No group games, but second beats should emphasize “on-game” group support.
- We will edit all scenes.
CALLBACKS will consist of a full Harold.
**The audition committee will consist of the UCBTLA Artistic Directors and 2-3 paid auditors with extensive knowledge and experience with the UCB Harold.
SIGN UP FOR AN AUDITION
Before clicking the Google Form link below, have answers to these questions ready to go:
- Your name, email and phone number.
- The instructor and end date of your UCB Improv 401 class.
- Whether or not you’d like to be considered for a Mess Hall Team.
- Your availability. PLEASE BE GENEROUS WITH YOUR AVAILABILITY.
- Why, in less than 50 words, you want to be on a UCB Harold team.
Once you have all of that ready, click the link below and only fill out this form one time.
You will be contacted by Friday, February 3rd with an audition time only if you meet the audition requirements.
Sign-up Deadline: Friday, January 27th @ 11:59pm.
Before writing us, please double check to make sure your question wasn’t answered above. If it wasn’t, send your question to us at [email protected].
Thank you, and we can’t wait to see you crush it!
-LA Artistic Directors